Monday, October 8, 2012

Midterm


From the beginning of the project, I was uncertain on a topic to choose. Once the topic was decided though, I was able to easily decide on the rest of the rhetorical choices. With the topic of health care for young adults in the United States, I was able to easily decide on different rhetorical aspects. My decisions pertaining to visual aspects, audience, tone, and language all came together to create a webtext that was easy to read, clear, concise, and informative.

When it came to deciding a topic, I was uncertain of what I wanted to look into and research. Many things pertaining to the medical field and social issues do not interest me. When I heard about topics being able to be related to health care, I thought of the ObamaCare issue that is going on in the United States. This topic seemed interesting to me, so I did some research. I was able to find a lot of information on how the Affordable Care Act targeted women needs and preventative care, along with that of young adults. I felt the women’s topic may not be enough for a full project on it, so I choose the young adults.

The choice of target audience was very simple for me. Because my topic centered around one very specific demographic, I was able to easily choose an audience. My audience is those between the ages of eighteen and twenty-six. This age range contains those considered “young adults”. Once I had my audience, I was able to easily set the language of the webtext to a very simple word choice with minimal jargon. By the use of this language, I was able to set the tone as informative and easy to understand. I also added personal references and opinions which made the webtext personal and subjective.

When it came to making the visuals of the website, I knew very quickly what I wanted my site to look like. Because my topic centers on the United States, I decided to use red, white, and blue, along with our national flag. This made is very clear to anyone looking at the site that the topic pertained to the United States. The font I used was a very plain font that is clearly legible to anyone. The color choice of the font, dark blue, is very contrasting against the white background, making it even easier to read.

When I choose images to use in the webtext, I decided to go with basic images that were representative of specific parts of my topic. The first image that I used shows President Obama's signature on the Affordable Care Act and the date of when the act was first approved and when it was upheld by the Supreme Court. The second image was a visual representation of Medicare which is a big part of how young adults can gain access to health care in the future. The Medicare expansion was also a huge part of the debate between the States and how they felt about the Affordable Care Act.

In conclusion, once my topic was decided, the rest of the rhetorical choices were very simple for me. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent response Mandy. Well organized and discusses most all the rhetorical elements you have worked with so far this semester. Nice job.

    30/30

    ReplyDelete